-->

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Some things I've learned in my new adventure of Mommyhood

I can't believe Bryce is 3 weeks old!

Pee. The inevitable has happened. I can't even count the times Bryce has hosed us mid diaper change. We bought this plush basketball thingy made by Munchkin (its machine washable) to hold over him during diaper changes. It has saved me several times. It is a must have for baby boys. New mom experience: washing pee off the wall behind the dresser.

Poop. Scott and I have been lucky so far and dodged getting pooped on. Grandma Burrup hasn't escaped! I have, however, witnessed the powerful explosion of poop shooting 3 feet in all directions on the changing pad cover. Good thing we own more than 1! New mom experience: If the diaper isn't poopy and he scrunches up his legs and starts grunting, poop is on its way, and you better take cover.

Sleep. Haven't figured this one out yet. There are days he sleeps ALL day and I have to wake him to feed him. The past 2 days he's been awake 5-6 hours at a time. Some nights he wakes up every 2 hours to eat. Other nights, he might only wake up every 4. Some nights, he sleeps soundly in his crib with no problems. Still, there are those nights that he seems very intent on sleeping on my chest while I lay back in the recliner. I hoping that once I go back to work, we will get on a more dependable pattern. New mom experience: learning to sleep with a baby in your arms or on your boob.

Bath time: Bryce HATES his bath. It starts off as a cry. Then it turns into the purple in the face cry. Then, it turns into the silent, tongue quivering, you can see the back of his throat, please stop and take a breath before you pass out SCREAMING. 90% of the problem is getting the bath water just right. We seem to get it a little to warm or not warm enough. I think I just need to go buy a thermometer so we stop torturing him at bath time. We do have a rubber ducky that changes color when the water is too hot, but it doesn't tell you when its too cold or when its "just right". New mom experience: learning to laugh when your baby is screaming because it really just breaks your heart beyond belief.


Breastfeeding: I am really becoming an advocate for breastfeeding. I think I've had a really good experience so far. I've heard horror stories of sore, cracked, nipples but fortunatly I have dodged this. (Like you wanna hear all about my nipples). The only downside I can possibly come up with is that I have to be the one to get up in the middle of the night. Scott gets to sleep peacefully through the night, at least until I start pumping and get him started on a bottle. I plan to start that sometime next week. New mom experience: The wonderful bonding experience of breastfeeding!

No comments:

Post a Comment