-->

Sunday, November 4, 2012

First Halloween + DIY Mickey Mouse costume

So ever since Bryce was born, I've been thinking about what costume I would make for Bryce. I have vivid memories of my mom sewing my Halloween costumes and I've always wanted to share that tradition with my kids. I wanted to pick something fun, cute, and most importantly easy to make! Mickey Mouse seemed like the perfect choice. 

Step 1: I looked at Walmart, Target, and Hobby Lobby for a solid black long sleeve and solid red onesie. You can buy white onesies in every size and shape, but solid colors are hard to come by. I decided to waste no more time on my feet looking and resorted to buying them online. I got them from Rock Bottom T-shirts for about $5 each plus shipping. So here is the hardest part of the whole project.....cut each onesie in half and sew together! For those sewing virgins I used a rotary cuter, rotary mat, and a ruler to make sure my cut on both the red and black onesie was straight and even. I then turned the onesies wrong side out and used straight pins to pin it together. I used a standard straight stitch and used 1/4 inch seam allowance (b/c I'm used to quilting and don't know any different). I didn't feel like hemming the edge since he was only going to be wearing it for a couple of hours so I just did a zig zag stitch around the edge and BAM! You got yourself a Mickey Mouse outfit. Less than 30 mins of work.

Step 2: I bought 1 square of white felt at Hobby Lobby for .25 cents. I found something to use as a tracer (I used Scott's Chick-Fil-A name tag) and cut out 2 ovals of white felt. I then used fabric glue to glue them onto the onesie. 5 mins of work. 

Step 3: The ears. Now here is where things got kinda complicated because I hit a road block. I looked for a standard black head band at Target. I wanted one out that didn't have any teeth and that wasn't made out of hard plastic because I didn't want it hurting his head. They had only had one that met these qualifications, but it had a big flower on top. I bought it anyways and thought I would just pull the flower off. As you may guess, the flower was a lot harder to remove than I thought and it left behind an ugly spot of glue that was an eye sore to the head band. So I improvised. I covered the head band in black felt! Luckily, there is youtube tutorial on how to do this. How to make Mickey Mouse ears I could write a whole paragraph on how I made the ears but if you really want to know I did everything in the YouTube video.















We went and trick or treated at Aunt Shelia's and saw Tristen and Breanna

We also saw Great Grandma!



Then we went and saw Lala and Papa!




And one last stop at Grandma and Grandpas!



1 comment: