Saturday, November 3, 2012


This past weekend Scott and I made our first weekend getaway trip to Nashville, TN! One of Scott's mission buddies was getting married, so we decided to go! I think this is the first time in 3.5 years of marriage, we have actually spent a WHOLE weekend together, just me and him. Sad right? yes. So we were more than ready to spend some much needed time together. I was very anxious about leaving Bryce behind. I know he was in good hands (grandparents) but I've never spent more than a couple hours away from him. Even at work, I go in on my lunch break to play with him. As we were leaving him at Grandma's I teared up. Pathetic, I know.

On the drive, we stopped right outside of Memphis to meet up with some friends for lunch! Ryan and Laura have a 5 month old son so we spent most of lunch swapping stories and experiences. It was crazy to see how much Alex and Bryce are alike! Next time, we will definitely take Bryce so they can play together! We ate at this local burger place called Off the Hoof. The food was amazing! Then after lunch, we went over to the town square to a antique store and looked around. I wish we could have spent more time with them, but we had to make it to Nashville!

I spent most of the drive from Memphis to Nashville checking out all there was to do in Nashville and realized we were gonna get there after most of the attractions closed. We decided to head to the mall for some shopping and to eat dinner at Dave and Busters (which is in the mall). I was so pumped about Dave and Busters! I've been wanting to eat there since forever! Scott wasn't hungry so we shopped first.When we were in the Carter's store I got real dizzy and fell into a rack of clothes. I didn't feel good. I walked to the back of the store to tell Scott I was done shopping and was ready to eat. I thought I got dizzy because I was pretty starving and chocked it up to low blood sugar. We were barely out of Carter's when my neck started itching. As I was scratching my neck, my ear drums starting itching. I can't describe what this feels like other than I felt like jamming a pencil in my ear to scratch them. This is when I knew. I was having an allergic reaction.I asked Scott if there were hives on my neck. Yep. And all down my arms. I could feel them on my back and legs and everywhere in-between. Then my tongue started itching, and the roof of my mouth, and then my lips started tingling and I could tell they were swelling. This has happened before. Sometimes this severe and quick, and other times not so much. I've always just taken some Benadryl and been fine. Problem, I didn't have any medicine and we were about 2 miles from the car. I knew this attack was different. It happened so fast and the symptoms were pretty severe. We quickly walked to guest services to see if there was a place in the mall that sold Benadryl. Before we got there, I had a pretty good pain in my chest. I was starting to panic. No pharmacy in the mall, but they said Old Navy sold medicines. Weird. All they sold was Tylenol. I was going hoarse and my chest was getting worse. We called security, surely they had first aide right? They were no help. The officer told me it was against company policy to dispense medicine. He offered to call an ambulance. At this point, I was trying to convince myself I was fine and just needed some Benadryl and I wasn't about to call an ambulance so they could bring me over the counter medication. We decided to drive to the nearest Walgreen's. As we walked to the car, Scott was stopping every single person and asking them if they had any Benadryl. We got to the car, got on the freeway, and headed 3 exits down to Walgreen's. When Walgreen's was in sight, my chest was hurting so bad I was so scared I was going to stop breathing and die right there on the side of the road. Scott ran like a mad man inside and grabbed the Benadryl while I hobbled over to get a bottle of water (oh yeah, I hurt my foot too). I took the Benadryl right there in the store and then went to sit in the car to await my fate. Within 3 mins my chest wasn't hurting near as bad and the itching had stopped. Luckily, Scott grabbed the liquid capsules. I was still starving so we went through the McDonald's drive through and then headed to the hotel where I slipped into a Benadryl coma. Well not before I broke down and cried because we didn't get to eat at Dave and Busters and I felt like I ruined our whole trip.

Scott was ready to go bright and early Sunday morning. He had already mapped out a couple of antique stores he wanted to check out. I actually found a couple of things I wanted! I finally found an old window that I've been wanting. I'm sure once I get it hung up, I'll include some pics. While we were driving around trying to find something for lunch, Scott spied a Fazolis! I love Fazoli's and was ever so upset when they closed all the ones in Arkansas. So we chowed down on some baked spaghetti and bread sticks!

After we left Fazoli's, we headed to The Hermitage ,aka Andrew Jackson's house. When we got there we were shocked at the admission price! Are you ready? $20 a person! Good Grief! I noticed there were no families there. Who could afford to take a whole family! Anyways, it was cold but pretty outside. I think we caught the peak of the leaves changing in Nashville, so the grounds were amazing beautiful. I was a little put off by Andrew Jackson's house. You couldn't take pictures inside or even touch the wallpaper or step on the hardwood floors. I didn't pay 40 for nothing! It was interesting though. Almost everything inside was original, including the wallpaper. We walked a little bit more and saw one of his slaves quarters and then to the garden where the entire Jackson lineage is buried. There was a lot more to see but my foot was really hurting from all the walking so we called it good. 

We went back to the hotel to get ready for the wedding! I must say, the wedding was beautiful. It was way out in the woods in a barn! All of the pretty little details of the wedding made it so romantic! Oh and the hillside of beautiful fall leaves! We got to ride in the "shuttle", a stretch hummer, to and from the wedding to the reception site. There was bbq at the reception that was so good! I had the best cornbread biscuits I've ever tasted! I went back for more!

Monday morning, we headed home! I was so ready to see my baby boy! When I got to my parents house, Bryce didn't even act excited to see us. He gave me a look like "aww man, party's over!"

No comments:

Post a Comment